Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My Puggle seems under the weather. He was fine at 4:00 P.M.

Customer Question

My Puggle seems under the weather. He was fine at 4:00 P.M. racing through the house when the Gardner arrives. He is kept indoors mostly. I took him for his early walk and he didn't poop. I figured he must've done it earlier on the pad and the maid had already thrown it away. His body temp seems warmer than usual and he won't really eat. I took him out for a walk and he pooped a tiny bit and tried to do it some more but seemed to be straining. I have only had him for about two months he is a rescue. and he is usually always ready for dinner and has shown no signs of illness. he has eaten a bite or two and had a bit of water but he just isn't himself. I had a very tense day. Is it possible he is feeling my anxiousness or do I go to an ER. Help he is adorable and I hate when my babies are not feeling well.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your boy Buster. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Thank you for your patience. As you can probably appreciate, there are a large number of possible causes for Buster's symptoms this evening. The combination of lethargy and being off his food could potentially be associated to an early gastroenteritis, gastrointestinal worms, a toxicity, or even just a behavioral issue (to name just a few potential causes). Because there are so many potential causes for his symptoms, you will need to continue to keep an eye on your boy for now. In particular, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.If he seems really lethargic, or if he won't drink anything at all, then you are best to play it safe and have him seen tonight if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
I see you were given help earlier this afternoon. I hope your boy has improved now! No need to rate here as you already received assistance.Kind Regards,Dr E