Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is a wired fox terrier. Who is 15. He has been having

Customer Question

My dog is a wired fox terrier. Who is 15. He has been having trouble with gagging for a few months. He used to just have issue when he would pull on the leash so we thought trachea problem. However, now he gags somewhat more often and random like when he goes to ly down.
Overall his health is good. He doe have swollen lymph node though in his jaw and large ones near his shoulders. However I didn't think much of it because he has a swollen one by his leg but that's where he constantly chews from a chronic skin infection. As for the other ones he has the worst teeth which they have gotten worse than anyone has prob seen but we got him like that as a rescue. He has constant ear and eye infections which we just took care of as well.
We got him to the vet yesterday and his weight is good. We brought him in for gagging. Heart sounds great airways are great. They treated him for ear ad eye infection. And the dr looked concerned for the size of his lymph nodes. He said he wants to get the swelling down and see.
Could this possibly be from his consistent infections? Or bacteria from his teeth?
They gave him a antiinflamatory and this morning I noticed they are half there size.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Sorry it has taken so long to answer your question. This actually is good news since the mandibular lymph nodes do drain areas of the mouth and any infection can get caught up in them causing inflammation and possibly infection. The fact that they have decreased in size tells us that this is probably not Lymphoma which would be a very bad condition for your guy. If for some reason, they continue to be large, it is best to biopsy so you know for sure.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta