Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

Past few days, my 10 yr old (spayed) dog has been licking

Customer Question

Hi, for the past few days, my 10 yr old (spayed) dog has been licking her butt excessively.
I've looked as well as she will allow, and I don't see anything there, but it does look a little inflamed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Does she seem like her rear end area is painful?

Is she having any diarrhea?

Are you seeing any bleeding from her rear end?

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello Again - I am have to go offline soon therefore I wanted to provide you with an answer just in case you are back online when I am not.

I am sorry to hear that she is uncomfortable when you try to look at her rear end. The most common cause of her symptoms would be an infection of the anal sacs called an anal sac abscess.

The anal sacs are on the inside of the anus at the 4 and 7 o'clock location. These do not serve much of a purpose for house dogs and can have a fluid inside that has a very foul odor. Sometimes when the fluid in the glands is not emptying out like it should normally the glands can get impacted which causes bacteria to build and causes an abscess or an infection. This can be very painful and make dogs very uncomfortable. Some dogs will drag or scoot on their rear end to try to relieve the abscess while others will constantly lick at it. Unfortunately these abscesses are very difficult to heal at home as she will need to have the abscess flushed out and then be placed on an antibiotic and some pain medication.

If she cannot get comfortable tonight, I really would recommend taking her to a vet if possible to get immediate relief. If this is not possible then you can take a warm water soaked washcloth and apply pressure to her rear end area for about 4-5 minutes to encourage drainage. Do this every 6 hours. You can also give her some aspirin at a dose of 5 mg per pound every 12 hours if needed for pain. This is safe as long as you are not using it for longer then 2 days. I would then definitely get her into your vet tomorrow as soon as you can for an antibiotic.

Other then an anal sac abscess, the other possibilities would be a mass on the anus that is bothering her or even allergies, as many dogs will lick at their anus area from itchiness. Either way I would recommend having your vet examine her to make sure that you get an exact diagnosis to know what treatment is best.

Hope this helps - please let me know if you need more help. Thank you for the question.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Matt