Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is 12 years old. He is a toy poodle. He weighs about

Customer Question

My dog is 12 years old. He is a toy poodle. He weighs about 8 pounds. When I came home from work he had thrown up clear liquid in a couple of places. He has diarrhea that has mucus and blood. He has since had diarrhea that is watery and had red blood in it. I have called out vet but have not heard back. He is drinking water but will not eat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Cowboy is not feeling well. It sounds like he has the beginnings of what is called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, HGE. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition.

I definitely would not push food at this point. Very likely he is nauseous (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass, gurgling stomach) and is having abdominal cramping and if fed at this point very likely he is going to vomit and/ or have more bloody stools. So no food tonight but water is alright if he is interested on his own.

You can give pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours to help settle his stomach and when he is interested in food (probably waiting until tomorrow as a precaution) small frequent meals of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken.

Often we have to leave the gi tract empty for 24 hours to allow the bleeding to subside along with the abdominal contractions and in little senior dogs often we will have them on iv fluids and antibiotics to minimize progression of symptoms.

Until you are able to contact your vet simply doing the pepcid, small amounts of water or pedialyte, and allowing him to rest with access to the yard. If this continues or is not improving it would be best to get him to a veterinary er to get him treated and comfortable tonight, likely meaning iv fluid therapy to support him and minimize risk of shock.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today. I truly hope Cowboy is feeling better soon...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Cowboy doing today? I would love an update!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!