Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
I am sorry to hear about Toby. I am Rebecca, a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
How long ago did he get the pill? How much does he weigh?
If it has been more than an hour, it is probably too late to get him to vomit.
How much does he weigh?
Thanks. Then he got 88 milligrams of ibuprofen per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight. We measure all toxic drugs in mg per kg.
At this dose he will probably get vomiting and diarrhea, and possibly stomach ulcers. Iboprofen (Advil) can also cause kidney damage, but if he got 200 mg he is below that dose.
If it has been at least an hour, getting him to vomit is too late.
The best thing would be to get him to a vet to start him on IV fluids, and started on stomach protectants to prevent ulcers in his stomach, and internal bleeding.
The best case is 24 hours of vomiting and diarrhea, but he could get ulcers and internal bleeding.
If this were my own dog, I would not be trying to treat him at home. Giving activated charcoal by mouth will help absorb the Advil that is still in his intestines, and starting on IV fluids will help flush it out of him.
How is he doing?
How is Toby today?