Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My Pug is doing this weird breathing through her mouth that

Customer Question

My Pug is doing this weird breathing through her mouth that almost sounds like a strangling noise. This just started today. And looks to happen when she stands/sits up, but when laying down she does that normal "snore" breathing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning - I'm Dr. Sara. I apologize for the delay in our response but I think that the Experts may be hesitant to tackle your question because breathing issues can be difficult to address without a physical examination. Do you think that there's any way you could get a video of one of these episodes? That would be very helpful for us to see.

Because breathing issues can be an emergency, I have to suggest firstly that you have her examined in person by a veterinarian. If she seems as though she is not in distress and she's eating and drinking OK and her gums are nice and pink, it's likely OK to monitor her and try to get us some video.

I'm going to include some videos that show my top two suspicions when my clients tell me their pet is having odd breathing. First is a reverse sneeze, which is benign and usually requires no treatment:

https://youtu.be/CXDledRQ7y4

The second is a video of a dog with tracheal collapse, which can be life threatening if not managed appropriately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bltXWqHcK7g

As you can see, the differences are kind of subtle, so I would suggest having Harley examined as soon as you can.

Please let me know if you get any video :)

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alyson,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley. How is everything going?
Doc Sara