Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dogs nd legs are giving out and he is knuckling trouble

Customer Question

My dogs hind legs are giving out and he is knuckling trouble going down stairs going up is ok walking slow and turning legs give out sometimes in a split jogging seems ok
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is also chewing at hips leading me to believe it not arthritis but neurological and there is a numbness like his hind quarters are permanently asleep
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr.B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on Brady's signs, both arthritis and nerve degeneration would be concerns here. Both can cause knuckling of the legs and we can see displacement behavior as a general sign of pain in dogs (as they target the discomfort source as if they could remove it). In this situation, with such advanced signs (where we could add in Omega 3+6 fish oils and Duralactin to his treatment), I must note that it'd be ideal to have him checked by his vet at this stage. If he is due a booster, this appointment could be moved up to keep costs down. They will be able to assess that knuckling plus perform a full neurological examination to tell you which is most likely here. If just arthritis is suspected (where knuckling is just secondary to weakness), then dog safe non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, etc) can be prescribed to address this. But if nerve deterioration or inflammation is present, then steroids can be used to achieve better penetration of nerve tissue and address that for him.

Overall, these signs do fit with both issues and furthermore its not uncommon for dogs to suffer with both at the same time. So, while we could add in those other nutrient supplements I mentioned above, if he is knuckling then its best to have him checked so that those prescription treatments can be started to reduce this discomfort and help Brady move comfortably.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jeremy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Brady. How is everything going?
nekovet