Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog chewy is a Shema eight years old he needs cataract

Customer Question

My dog chewy is a Shema eight years old he needs cataract surgery in both eyes how expensive is this will it have to be redone again later if he's bumping into things can it be restored I am on disability Social Security and don't have much money what can I do? He is so active and he is now starting to just lay around and not want to play. It is breaking my heart. Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I would note that before any surgery would be done to remove the cataracts, you will want his vet to check that the retina is still functioning. This is because if the retina was not, then removal of the cataracts would not restore his sight. But if that is fine, then the surgery would be an option.

Now in regards ***** ***** questions, I would note that this isn't a surgery that needs to be redone at any stage once done. This is because the surgeon actually removes that lens that has become a cataract and replaces it with an artificial lens that cannot crystallize. And in regards ***** ***** I would note that this can vary by specialist (so you may need to shop around) but tends to be around $1800-3000 for both eyes. This cost does tend to also include the follow up exams after the surgery. So, it tends to be a costly operation but can be curative if this is what is causing the blindness.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that does help some I know he still sees some so I am hopeful
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I am very glad to hear that he does have some sight. And I would note that if he is a candidate for this (healthy otherwise), then this can be a great operation since it essentially removes that reason for blindness and gets them back to square one with their sight.

Take care & all the best to you both,

Dr. B.