Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I adopted a rescue dog from 's dream organization like 3

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I adopted a rescue dog from Cooper's dream organization like 3 weeks ago. The first day that I brought him to my house, I realized that he was very itchy and he was scratching constantly. I asked his foster family if they noticed the itching or a flea problem. He had the same itching with them so they told me that he was supposed to have a flea treatment at the rescue place so it was probably a skin condition. So I went ahead and sprayed hydrocortisone for dogs. I have been applying once a day every other day. Unfortunately, the itching hasn't stopped which made me think that it could be fleas. I used the Frontline plus treatment for small dogs wich should be applied only once a month and it supposed to make effect within hours of application but the itching hasn't stopped. I took him to the groomer and they did not find any fleas or anything of that kind. I do not know what it is. I'm planning in taking him to a vet but while I'm looking for a good and affordable vet, I would like to get some help or insight. Thank you very much!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

We're both somewhat constrained to understand why he's so pruritic (itchy) because we don't have a track record telling us if his symptoms are seasonal and if he regularly scratches and bites at the same areas of his body. I'm going to post my synopsis of the pruritic dog for you so you have a broad overview. Please take your time reviewing the synopsis and then return to our conversation with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish...

Pruritic dogs are suffering from an allergic dermatitis in the great majority of cases. Allergies to flea saliva, environmental allergens (atopic dermatitis) such as pollens, molds, dust and dust mites, and foods should be considered. (Paw and extremity licking indicates both atopy and a food intolerance and so it behooves vets to distinguish one from another.) In many instances, a concomitant pyoderma (bacterial skin infection), yeast infection (Malassezia), or mange mite (Demodex or Sarcoptes) might be contributory.

His vet can check a sample of your dog's skin surface microscopically (a “cytology”) for abnormal numbers of bacteria and yeast and skin scrapings can be taken in an attempt to find mites. Pyoderma is treated with a minimum of 3-4 weeks of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin (Keflex) and yeast is addressed with ketoconazole for at least a month.

Our dermatologists tell us to apply an effective over the counter flea spot-on such as Advantage, a fipronil-containing product such as Frontline or one of the newer prescription products available from his vet even if fleas aren’t seen. Dogs can be such effective groomers so as to eliminate all evidence of flea infestation. Dogs who remain primarily indoors can contract fleas because we walk them in on us and flea eggs and larva can remain viable in your home for months. As the weather warms, egg hatches are common. A flea saliva allergy can arise days after all fleas are removed from my patient. It's a delayed hypersensitivity reaction. In severe cases, an anti-allergenic prescription glucocorticoid such as prednisone will work wonders for dogs allergic to the saliva of the flea. If you have other pets they may have fleas too but may not be allergic to the flea’s saliva.

Environmental allergies are usually initially addressed with prednisone as well. In some dogs an over the counter antihistamine such as clemastine (Tavist) at a dose of 0.025 - 0.75mg/lb twice daily or diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at 1-2mg/lb twice daily may be effective. Antihistamines, however, aren’t reliable. Adding fish oil to the diet at a dose of 20mg/lb daily of the EPA in the fish oil might synergize with antihistamines to provide better anti-pruritic action. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are antiinflammatory but may take 8-12 weeks to kick in. The new cytokine antagonist oclacitinib (Apoquel) is likely to revolutionize how we address atopic dogs and should be discussed with his vet.

Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that your dog's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra. (I prefer the hydrolyzed protein diets.) A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

We need to consider seborrhea in such a patient as well. This is a skin disorder of keratinization and maturation. It's a diagnosis of exclusion of the above mentioned skin disorders and can be suggested by skin biopsy.

Hi Andry,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?