Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My english bulldog has this yellow gunk in her eyes, the vet

Customer Question

my english bulldog has this nasty yellow gunk in her eyes, the vet prescribe drops, but they don't work, what should i use
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question abut Pebbles and her eye problems. I'm so sorry the drops the vet has prescribed aren't helping. You must be really frustrated, and I understand why you want some drops that WILL work. Poor Pebbles!

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, diagnosing eye problems isn't always easy and straightforward. It's not unusual for a vet to have to *guess* the first time around at what type of eye drops will work.

It sounds as if your vet's first guess missed the mark.

I'm so sorry.

But rest assured there is hope that you will be able to get Pebbles the relief she needs.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Since the first eye drops didn't work, it's time to get a little more aggressive about doing diagnostic testing to figure out what type of drops will work.

If Pebbles were my patient, I'd do the following:

• A thorough examination under supplemental light and magnification to look for eyelashes growing in the wrong way. If she's got those, NO eyedrop will solve her problem. The eyelashes need to be removed.
  • A Schirmer tear test to determine if her tear production is adequate. Keratoconjunctivitis sicca, commonly called DRY EYE, causes lots of yellow junk to build up in the eyes. Most regular eye drops don't work for this problem. Your vet would need to prescribe Optimmune. That helps most dogs with dry eye. There are also other options available for the dogs for whom Optimmune doesn't work.
  • A fluorescein stain test to check for an ulcer. Treating an ulcer can require a combination of different types of eye medications.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

So, as you can see, dealing with an eye problem can be really complication. Unfortunately, if you're looking for me to be able to tell you, "Okay... here. Use this eye product and Pebbles will be just fine," I cannot. That wouldn't be true and would only lead to disappointment on your end.

The good news is that I'm confident there IS a form of treatment out there that will help Pebbles. It's just going to take a little more work to find out what it is.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Some vets aren't as comfortable or experienced with diagnosing more difficult eye problems. If yours isn't, ask for a referral to someone who is. Additionally, many folks live within easy travel distance of a veterinary ophthalmologist (eye specialist). Especially since Pebbles is a bulldog and they are prone to eye problems, you may find it very worthwhile to develop a relationship with your closest veterinary ophthalmologist. That way you'll know she's getting the best care available.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I've done my very best to answer your question with complete, accurate, and honest information, even though it might not be what you wanted to hear.

My goal is to be as helpful as possible.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and enter a positive rating for me, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you. Without your ACCEPT, the website retains your entire fee.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Simply type in your response and click REPLY or SEND. I'll be notified via email and will do my best to help.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going for Pebbles. Is there anything else I can do to help you?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Good morning! Just one final check to ask if Pebbles is doing better. Please let me know if there is anything else I may help you with. My goal is for you to have all the information you need to make the best decisions for her.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sherri,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pebbles. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo