Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My shih txt has discharge in s ears and s ears are sore. The

Customer Question

My shih txt has brown discharge in his ears and his ears are sore. The vet is usually see cant get him in till next week. What can I do for my pet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Is the dishcarge in one or both ears?

2- Do you have ear cleaning solution at home? If so, what is the name?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Discharge is in both ears. One ear is worse than the other. No I don't have ear cleaner. I just used mineral oil and qtips to clean them.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

As you may already know it sounds like he has an ear infection. This is what you can try:

1- Do not use mineral oil to clean the ears. Instead pick up an ear cleaning solution in your local pet store. Or, you can prepare your solution by mix 1/3 of a cup of white vinegar 2/3 of a cup of warm water. Use this solution with cotton to clean the ears out thoroughly of all discharge.

2- Once the ears are clean apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2 times a day for the next 7-10 days. Always clean the ears before apply the antibiotic.

3- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I apply the topical do I only apply to outer part of the ear or do I apply done down in the canal and inner ear?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

In the external canal; as far as you can see. Do not use Q-tips into the canal.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ollie. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter