Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dachshund who is just 2 years has food allergies our vet

Customer Question

Our dachshund who is just 2 years has food allergies our vet put him on a all fish diet I put him on Canidae dry food snacks are blue wilderness trail treats American jerky salmon steaks natural ba***** *****y bites merrick power bites it's been a week now and he is not the same just lays in the corner you have to pick him up to go the bathroom and just stairs at you what can be wrong
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was he this depressed and lethargic when he was last seen by his vet?

What tests have they done?

Any appetite loss, changes in thirst, diarrhea, or vomiting/retching?

Does he seem tender when you press on his belly? Any limping?

Had he been very itchy with the allergy? Did they treat him with anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he was not depressed when we took him to the vet but because of the skin rashes he made me change his diet to all fish
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

And the didn't use any treatment like antibiotics or steroids?

Any testing?

As well, have you seen any of those signs I asked about?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He gave him a shot of antibotic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the all fish diet be doing this
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now the reason I have asked about those other signs is because Frankie's lethargy and depression doesn't fit with a food allergy. If he has had a long acting antibiotic injection (ie Convenia) it is possible that could be causing GI upset and bell discomfort to induce these vague signs of him feeling unwell. Otherwise while we usually don't see fish diets cause this, if it doesn't agree with Frank's stomach or if the diet is a bit too rich for his pancreas, then it could be the cause here.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

That said, we cannot totally rule out other ongoing or non-related issues being present here as well (especially since he isn't giving you much to go on).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I be doing for him now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Still, in any case, these signs are worrisome because they just are not what we'd expect here.

Now in regards ***** ***** you can do, it does depend on what more subtle signs he is showing. If you think he is nauseous (ie lip licking, tender in his belly, gagging) or we just want to rule that out, then you could try him with antacid. Examples of those we use include :

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)

*Zantac (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

Otherwise, we'd need to think about breaking this diet trial and seeing if he perks up on his normal food. We could see the allergy signs return, but if we can get him feeling better then we'll have determined what was triggering this.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Otherwise, if we were trying to manage allergies while on his old diet, you could consider a trial on antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl).A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as itcan cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medicationshouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on anyother medication without speaking to your vet first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he licks his lips
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Overall, he isn't giving you many clues to what is amiss. Based on what information you have given me, he sounds like a dog that may have GI upset from the diet or possible pancreatitis. Lip licking itself is a notorious sign of nausea in the dog. So, I would advise trying an antacid just now and then potentially considering trying his old diet or an alternative bland one (ie rice with boiled chicken, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will try that and follow up with my vet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

If we find he responds to that and perks up, then we are happy. If he doesn't, then I'd suggest ringing his vet to update them on this. They can confirm if this is likely a side effect of what they have given. And if need be, they can check him over and use injectable anti-nausea medication to make sure we are covering our bases here for wee Frankie.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like a good plan of attack.

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pleaser emember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)