Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 10 yr old dog has prostate CA and we have been treating m

Customer Question

Hi, my 10 yr old dog has prostate CA and we have been treating him successfully for 9 mos with Piroxicam. But I believe he may have developed perineal hernia. Is this treatable or is the prognosis poor with the CA?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

A perineal hernia is fixable with surgery. The question would be, how well is the prostate cancer controlled. If the cancer is in remission, then I would not have a problem with doing the perineal hernia surgery. If the prostate cancer is active and has been worsening, then I would probably not do the surgery. In that case, I would use stool softeners and manually remove any stool stuck in the herniated rectum as needed.

It sounds like he is stable enough to do the surgery. He's not the greatest surgical candidate, but he should tolerate surgery and post-op care well.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.His cancer has responded quite well to the piroxicam, he has little to no issues since he has been taking it (since 11/14) with the exception of slight straining to urinate at times but otherwise voids well and doesn't have symptoms of discomfort aside from the past 3 days.It seems his perineal area is slightly swollen and notably 'mushy' feeling and he has been struggling to urinate. The best way I can describe it is he's urinating with about 20% strength of his regular urine flow. He also has yelped a few times when getting up from lying down, but is then able to walk around, with some discomfort noted but not severe.My vet who has been treating him is out of town until Monday. I hate to wait the weekend if it could be an emergency regarding possible bladder involvement, but really prefer she is the one to see him. I just don't know how critical he is or at what point it becomes an emergency? I am a nurse and have decent assessment skills but obviously not the same for a dog.And lastly-could you give me a very loose range of what hernia surgery can cost? Just very ballpark, I understand you can't exactly know..but I don't know if I'm looking at $500 or $5000 for something like this.Once again, thank you very much!Kristi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

If there is a possibility of bladder entrapment, then this is an emergency. I would go in within the next 6-12 hours to get this assessed. I would definitely not wait until Monday. If it's a hernia with bladder entrapment, then sometimes we can pass a catheter to empty the bladder and let it fall out. Other times we have to surgically remove it- that is less common.

The surgery to repair a hernia is typically going to be in the 1000-2500 range. The lower if done by a general practice vet. Higher if done by a boarded surgeon.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kristi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Norman. How is everything going?