Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 4 month old pitbull puppy it has loss of balance and is

Customer Question

My 4 month old pitbull puppy it has loss of balance and is not very responsive she will get up not on her own and her nose is not cold or wet and when she sleeps she her eyes roll up you can just see the whites of their eyes and when her eyes are open your pupils are dilated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

Has your puppy been vaccinated?

How long has she had these signs?

Has she had any seizures?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has her first set of shots but not her second and she has had the symptoms for about an hour now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no seizures
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks.

It sounds like this may be a toxin that she got into. The most common signs of neurologic toxins are Marijuana ingestion and mold ingestion. Moldy foods and dead animals can lead to a mycotoxin that affects the nervous system. We usually see mild muscle tremors, weakness and lethargy. Marijuana leads to incoordination, hyper-responsive reflexes, a head shy attitude and dribbling urine.

Both of these will typically resolve on their own in mild cases. If the signs are still present in the morning, then I would have your vet look at her. In that case, I would start to worry about things like Distemper, meningitis or encephalitis. If the signs are gone by morning, then I would not look back and it was probably just something she got into.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carson,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Honey. How is everything going?