Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We have been trying to give our dog cottage cheese and rice

Customer Question

We have been trying to give our dog cottage cheese and rice and he will not eat the cottage cheese. He is on carafate and has loose stools. We tried veg broth tonight and it's not working. Can not get him to eat. He is a 13 year old Pomeranian. He may also be allergic to chicken. Was previously on artisan Grandma Lucy's Pork freeze dried food. The problem was he always appeared to be hungry and wanted to eat all the time. He was very whiny. That is why that they changed his diet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I actually like to add some fiber to the diet when I have a dog with diarrhea. I typically have the owners give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin or sweet potato baby food with meals. That can help firm up the stools.

I would try to get him on a steady diet. The constant changing can, in itself, lead to nausea and soft stools. You really need to get him on something steady to get the gut flora controlled and steady. If you need an appetite stimulant, I would talk with your vet about using Mirtazapine as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Radar. How is everything going?