Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a Irish wolf hound mix I adopted. The vet is guessing

Customer Question

I have a Irish wolf hound mix I adopted. The vet is guessing he is about 11 years old now. We took him in at 8-10 yrs they thought due to cataracts already forming. He has enjoyed great health, but is now completely blind and can not hear. He still loves his mile sniffing walk each evening, however lately he is very anxious and disoriented and is having lots of very light yellowish loose bowel movements often. at times he cannot get his little rear end up due to arthritis in his hips and has movements as he tries to stand up. He eats dry food with a little wet food mixed in twice daily. Recently he has also lost some weight, though it has been a very hot summer here in Central Oregon which he doesn't do well in.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I would want to make sure he doesn't have Diabetes. Diabetes can lead to weight loss, change in appetite and cataract formation. It can also predispose animals to secondary infections in the GI tract, which could explain the diarrhea. I would get some geriatric bloodwork to make sure this is not the issue.

If the bloodwork is normal, then it's probably all aging issues- geriatric diabetes, arthritis and gastroenteritis. It could also be an intestinal cancer (Lymphoma). I would make sure he's on a consistent diet to rule out a dietary issue. I like to use Hill's J/D (joint disease) in these older arthritic dogs. It really helps with their joint health. It's also a bit higher in calories so it can help with the weight loss. Your vet would have to order this diet for you, as it's a prescription diet. Adding 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the diet can also help. The extra fiber will help with the loose stools that you are seeing.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.