Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 14y/o Maltipoo is diabetic and has been vomiting bile

Customer Question

My 14y/o Maltipoo is diabetic and has been vomiting bile for 18 hours, won't eat, sugar 147, morning insulin 3 units instead of 5, holding evening dose, what should I do???? Emergency room? Phenergan?
She ate a lot of shrimp tales last evening:(
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Malye. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm going to be very honest here and say that a trip to the ER room would be a very good idea / recommendation of mine at this point. When diabetics are vomiting, it is a very delicate balance of insulin use and not letting them get to high or low with blood glucose levels. Could all the shrimp that was eaten have given her gastroenteritis or pancreatitis? Getting her to the ER room will at the very least let the assess her and see what may be percolating to the top of the rule out list. They can at a minimal get some anti nausea medication started to hopefully settle her stomach. If she's more dehydrated or compromised, they may recommend hospitalization with IV fluids to help support her till things settle down. At home, your very limited in what can be done there. The trip to the ER would be in my opinion well worth it.