Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She is panting reason. been to vet every week weeks. $800.00

Customer Question

she is panting for no reason. been to vet every week for 4 weeks. $800.00 worth....
1. inflammation around lungs slight fever. gave antibiotic and steroids.. no help..
(did x'ray showed inflammation and in larged heart,said this not a problem)...
2. gave water pills .. no help
3. did full body blood work. showed only slight stomach problem.. gave her prolosec
and hills metabolic prescription food... seemed to help some... for the last 5 days..
however, today she got excited and the panting got labored....
vet did mention checking for cussins...
what do you think??????????????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm a bit puzzled. There's "inflammation around the lungs"? What is it around the lungs that is inflamed - the pleura (the thin membrane around the lungs) which would then be called a pleuritis? An enlarged heart was seen yet you were told that it isn't a problem. Why isn't it a problem? A diuretic ("water pills") were prescribed. Why? Was there a collection of fluid in the chest cavity? In the lungs themselves - congestive heart failure? Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. Finally, unless my patient is eating you out of house and home and drinking like a fish, Cushing's shouldn't be considered. Is that the case? I'm sorry for all the questions but the more I know the better I can help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for the info... will try to get the file to you sometime today

I'll watch for your next post.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sophie. How is everything going?