Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My six year old female boxer just started drinking excessive

Customer Question

My six year old female boxer just started drinking excessive amounts of water about five days ago and then vomits. She will still eat treats but refuses most of her food and sleeps a lot. I also noticed two golf ball sized lumps under her neck. I'm very concerned. Should she go in and see the vet? She was a happy,healthy dog before this incident.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did the lumps just appear at the same time as her other signs?

Any ongoing issues/infections in her mouth?

Is she passing more urine then usual? Any diarrhea

Can she keep any water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any other lumps that you can feel in her armpits, behind her knees, or in front of her fore legs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. B. The lumps appeared around the same time as her excessive water intake. She can keep water down but not when she drinks too much too fast. I don't see any infections in her mouth. She is a brindle-colored boxer and has black and pink mottled gums. Her gums seem normal, neither moist or sticky. She doesn't seem to have any belly tenderness. She could eaten something but it's not very likely. She has one hard lump on her front left shoulder without pain or increase in size that appeared within the last several months.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No unusual urination or diarrhea. She just doesn't want to eat her dog food. She normally eats twice a day and always eats all of it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Molly.

I am highly suspicious that the lumps under her jaw are her lymph nodes. These can appear enlarged if a dog has a severe oral infection or wound/abscess/infection in this part of the body. Still if we are not seeing these for her, then we'd have to be worried about these nodes being enlarged for another reason.

Now if that mass on her shoulder is something sinister (ie a sarcoma type tumor), then it is possible that this could have spread into these lymph nodes and thus causing their enlargement. That said, to hear that she has large lymph nodes and is suddenly very thirsty raises concerns of a different type of tumor. This one is called lymphoma. It arises in the lymph nodes and can case the nodes to get severely enlarged. As well, it is not uncommon for this condition to also elevate our dog's blood calcium, which triggers excessive thirst for them.

Therefore, with these concerns here, I have to say that I do feel it would best for Molly to be seen by your local vet. They can sample her lymph nodes and determine whether they are reactive or if there is something more her. So while we could try to reduce any nausea for her with an antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac))and try a light diet (ie white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food), I am just concerned that we have a more serious issue here for Molly.

Please take care,

Dr. B.