Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been having diarrhea since Sunday. I took m to

Customer Question

My dog has been having diarrhea since Sunday. I took him to the vet yesterday morning. They said his vitals looked good and his stool sample came back fine. They prescribed pro-pectalin. He has had 4 doses now (3 CCs per dose) and there still is no improvement. Woke us up three times over the night and had more diarrhea this morning. How long until this is supposed to help or should we be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was the stool sample sent to a lab or tested at the vets?

Was it tested for worms only? Or also protozoa, viruses, and bacteria (which usually takes a few days to a week for results)?

What does his diarrhea look like?

How is he otherwise? Eating, drinking, acting normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It must have only been tested for worms because I got the results when I was at the vet. He had surgery for instetinal blockage from eating string back on Aug 7 but the diarrhea didn't really start until he got his staplea removed. It was soft stool prior to that on Saturday. His diarrhea is yellow and has a lot of mucus. He is still wanted to play around and he still eats. He is still drinking but I would say a little less then normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, if the diarrhea started that late post surgery, we'd not assume it was directly related. Instead, I'd be most suspicious that the stress/energy loss that the body has undergone with surgery and healing has allowed an opportunistic bacterial GI bug to gain a foothold here. So, while it is good that worms have been ruled out and the initial supportive care (which was more geared to treat this like a dietary indiscretion or imbalance in the good gut bacteria post surgery), it sounds like this is not going to be enough. Especially because if this was one of those 2 benign issues, we'd expect him to be responding already.

Since he isn't, I'd advise ringing his vet and updating them on this situation. You can request (since they did just see him for this) that they dispense a broad spectrum antibiotic to tackle any lurking bacterial gastroenteritis. Alternatively, you could also submit a fecal sample for bacterial culture. Though we'd likely still want to use a broad spectrum treatment since cultures can take a while to get results.

Overall, if this was just a benign GI upset, I'd expect it to have already responded to your good supportive are there. Since it has not, I would advise being proactive at this stage and ringing his vet about antibiotics +/- full fecal testing to ensure get this settled as quickly as possible.

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. B. I called my vet and they are going to give me some antibiotics and do a little more fecal testing. Once he starts taking the antibiotic how long should I expect to continue seeing diarrhea. What signs should I call again at?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear that they are taking both those steps for Rocky. While I wouldn't expect it to totally settle within 48 hours, but I'd want to see some positive progress by then. But hopefully if he wasn't responding by that point, we'd have some fecal results back and be able to modify treatment if needed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he hasn't had the diarrhea since 7am this morning when he got let out about 12pm, should we still do the antibiotic?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

You could hold off and see (since we often have a "pause" between diarrhea and normal stool) if you wanted to. But if we did see any more loose stool, then we could then use them if need be.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it hurt him giving him the antibiotic just to be safe? Sorry for all of the questions it's just been a complicated month with him.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No worries,

It would do no harm to use them to be safe. So that is fine too.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK so he didn't have any diarrhea since 7am on Thursday and we gave him a dose of pro-pectalin since 4:30pm on Thrusday. He finally had a almost normal poop on Friday night. Maybe a little on the softer side. Then Saturday morning he started with a normal poop and it ended in diarrhea. What are your thoughts now? Should we give him more pro-pectalin or just wait and see if he has more. We haven't give him any antibiotics.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I am glad to hear it. If it is near normal, he may have just been slow to respond. So, you can choose to keep as you are or use the antibiotics at this point (or even hold them in reserve if he has any relapse once the Propectalin is finished).

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)