Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog ate some Hylands leg cramp pills at least an hour ago

Customer Question

My dog ate some Hylands leg cramp pills at least an hour ago as we were out to dinner - what should we do? I read that the are homeopathic which is better?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl Boo Teeter who managed to eat some Hylands leg cramp pills while you were out to dinner. As you say - these are homeopathic tablets, and so typically safe and non-toxic for humans. While they are likely safe and non-toxic in dogs as well, there is any official data on this particular tablet. As it has been around an hour, you could still get Boo Teeter to vomit these just be to safe.

There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been about an hour - she will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ultimately, if she doesn't vomit, or doesn't vomit up the tablets, then keeping an eye on her for the following hour or two would be a fair decision on how to proceed here. Theoretically, a homeopathic medication should have no effect on dogs, but as above, as there is no data and it has only been an hour, it is worth playing it safe here. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would follow up quickly to see how you get on with your girl Boo Teeter. I hope all is well!

If you get a chance to get an update through to me, that would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Dr E