Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My has had two operations stones. Now she has them again. I

Customer Question

My ***** ***** bitch has had two operations for bladder stones. Now she has them again. I don't want to put her through more surgery. Is there any other treatment
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about Nym. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Do you know what kind of stones she has? There might be a stone dissolving diet that might help, depending on what the stones are made of. The most common stones are struvite, and there are diets that sometimes dissolve them. If the stones are urate or oxalate, the diets may prevent new stones, but won't dissolve stones that are already in her bladder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The stones are struvite
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm disabled, on a very low budget. I can't afford more surgery or expensive diets. I'm at my wits end
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

There are diets that dissolve stones, in some dogs with struvite stones: Hills S/D or Royal Canin Urinary SO. They only work, if the diet is the only thing being fed; no treats or table food.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

They are "prescription" diets, meaning you can't buy them over the counter. You can get them from a vet office, or from Chewy.com but they will contact your veterinarian for a "prescription".

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I sure wish there were a diet or a supplement I could tell you about that will dissolve the stones, but that is sadly not the case. I only see the diets work about 25% of the time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks anyway
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Best of luck to you and to Nym. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with or answer.

Is she already on one of these diets?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, my vet said it wasn't necessary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I would consider trying one of them. They can sometimes dissolve the stones, if you are good about not feeding any treats or table food.

If you do not change anything, the stones will just keep forming. The diets should at least prevent new stones from forming.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not your fault I know but I've wasted money I could ill afford
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you thought my answer was not helpful; are you not going to try the diet? There is a chance it will work; I once saw a dog with a lot of stones and 3 weeks later they were all gone, just from eating Urinary SO diet by Royal Canin. It really is your best chance to avoid another surgery, it just does not work every time. At the very least, it will prevent new stones from forming and you really should give it a try. It will be much easier on her, and on your expenses, than surgery.

You have not "wasted money"; you have only paid a deposit so far that can be returned. It only becomes a payment if you give my answer a rating.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi ***** *****ers Walker,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Nym. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies, I have been in hospital.
I can't try the diet as it's prescription only and I can't afford a consultation fee at my Vets to get said prescription
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You could order it at Chewy.com and they will contact your vet for an OK. You may not need another consultation.

I am sorry you have been in hospital. I hope both you and Nym are doing better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, my Vet has made it clear that without seeing Nym I can't get a prescription
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Even though he diagnosed the stones?

It is just food, not like he is approving actual medication. I am sorry to hear that; the diets really do work to prevent new stones, and sometimes dissolve stones that are already there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well he's like a lot of vets these days, just after money, no real feelings for the animal.
That's why I gave up being a vet tec after ten years. I saw a huge change in attitude towards the animals.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that. It is not true in my practice. Whenever one of our clients requests prescription food from Chewy.com we approve it, as long as we have seen the pet in the last 12 months (requirement of our state licensing board; we have to have a valid client/patient relationship to write a prescription).