Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog is limping and not interested in walking but when I

Customer Question

my dog is limping and not interested in walking but when I touch him all over he doesn't seem to be in pain. It appears to be in his front right arm as he didn't like me touching there but didn't stop me either
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. How long has this limping been going on? Does it seem to be getting any better? Is it getting worse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just started today. Thought I sensed it before I left for work but when I came home noticeable.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

So he is able to put some weight on the leg and get around if he wants too. But, he would much rather just rest. Is he licking any area on that leg?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. He can walk with a limp. He goes for a bit then sits. He isn't whining and no licking. He wasn't interested in eating a full treat but when I broke it up he ate it. Just lethargic and snugly
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is great that he can walk on it, even though it has a very noticeable limp. When they are totally non-weight bearing, that is when the more serious injuries start to be brought up. With limping on it, could he have just banged it or tweaked it and it just needs time and rest to let it heal itself. Obviously getting to a vet here tonight is a good option as they can do a physical exam and possibly some x-rays to make sure it isn't something more involved. A lot of owners will in your situation elect to rest them for 12 hours and see how that helps the situation. With him being lethargic and snugly, it would seem that waiting to tomorrow is a good option.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully the rest and time will get things back to normal. Try to keep her activity reduced so she doesn't aggravate the injury here in the short term. Watch for her to be licking any area or having any swelling as that may indicate the location of the injury.