Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Christian K., I have a beagle that just consumed 8 cupcakes

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Christian K., I have a beagle that just consumed 8 cupcakes in a very thin paper lining from the kitchen counter while I was gone. You had responded to a similar situation 5 years ago. Blake (the dog) is exhibiting no signs of distress...whatsoever. I guess I will just monitor Blake for the next 24 hours? How long will it take for Blake to pass everything?
Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Leave it to a Beagle to ingest anything that doesn't eat him first. Blake's dietary indiscretion is likely to pass uneventfully but we do need to be concerned about the paper. It's not digestible and potentially could wad up and obstruct Blake's small intestine. You need to watch for the tell-tale signs of obstruction - anorexia and vomiting. Should either symptom arise it would be prudent to have Blake's abdomen X-rayed in order to better understand what's going on inside his gastrointestinal tract. I would fast Blake for a minimum of 6 hours after ingestion of the cupcakes. Depending upon the transit time of his GI tract, those cupcakes and paper could show up in his feces as soon as 4 hours and as late as 12 hours post-ingestion.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Michael Salkin,Thank goodness the cupcakes were lemon. He was active on his walk this evening but no elimination occurred. Blake is a rescue dog and we are not sure about all his habits. Now we know he loves cupcakes. I will observe him for any of the signs you mentioned.Warm regards,Jeanette

I'm pleased to hear that Blake has remained unaffected, Jeanette. He should remain so although I wouldn't be surprised if he had a bit of diarrhea in his next movement. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Hi Jeanette,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Blake. How is everything going?