Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

6 year old Shitzu/Malteze Has itchy skim, scratches, chews

Customer Question

6 year old Shitzu/Malteze Has itchy skim, scratches, chews on front paws, crusty sores in ears, sores on butt, We use a mild shampoo for puppies. Previous visits to vets for the ears have not been successful. Do we need a different shampoo or some supplement? He is mostly indoor dog with twice daily walks and daily playtime in fenced yard.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry your little one has such irritation! I can give you some basic guidelines in hopes of getting her comfortable but if there is no change and she is terribly uncomfortable I would advise a return to your veterinarian

- Fish oil 500-750 mg EPA & DHA daily but this will take 2-4 weeks to see full effects
- Food with no by products, organic, human grade ingredients which promotes skin and coat health
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with itch but may cause mild sedation
- An antibacterial shampoo with ten minute contact time 3-5 times weekly at first while allergies are more severe and then tapering as improvement is seen. Focus on his worst areas to provide relief. I typically dispense a chlorhexidine based dog shampoo, CLICK HERE for an option

Hopefully this will help provide him some relief in the longterm. If you can get out of the worst of the allergy season the hope is the benadryl and the shampoo use can be tapered and he will maintain his comfort level.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am on-line an additional 30 minutes but will return later this afternoon if I miss you

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman