Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I was told my poodle would have her teeth cleaned 1st thing

Customer Question

I was told my poodle would have her teeth cleaned 1st thing this morning. We
had her there at 8:30...how long does it take to prep her? I just called and they
told me they started the cleaning at 10.....not happy. Lily is very anxious when
she isn't with her family. Also if they done at 11 how long do I really have to
wait to go get her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am sorry to hear that there has been a miscommunication between your local vet and yourself. It is doubtful that the delay in her dental was due to an extended preparation time. Instead, dental procedures are rarely done as the first procedure of the day. This is because it is considered a "dirty" procedure. As the teeth are cleaned, bacteria will become airborne and this would lead to an infection risk should any sterile surgeries (ie spays, castrations, abdominal surgery, lump removals, etc) be done afterwards. So, often these will be the last procedure done for the morning. And as long as the same vet that did her teeth cleaning didn't have any emergencies or have to see consults first, then I do suspect this is why there was a delay here.

Now in regards ***** ***** she can go home, this will depend not on what time they start her cleaning but rather what time they finished. Furthermore, it will depend on what anesthesia gas was used (as sevoflurane gives us quicker recoveries the isoflurane) and how quickly Lily herself wakes up (since their being fully awake is the only reason we delay sending them home early). If this was a quick procedure for her, she had the quicker gas, and she is a dog with a quick metabolism and thus recovery time, then she could potentially go home a few hours afterwards (~2-3pm). But if her teeth required over an hour to address, she is sleepy and slow to wake, then she may not be ready to go home until 5-7pm. In any case, since you are upset and she is an anxious dog, do consider ringing the vet practice now to request they ring you as soon as she is up and awake enough to go home. That way they will know your concerns and can get you there for her as soon as it is safe to send her home with you.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long from begining to end
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I assume you mean how long does a dental take. If she just needs a scale and polish, this can take about an hour to do and recovery can be anywhere from an hour to 4-5 hours. Again this depends on the dog's metabolism and drugs used. If she has had extractions or had very severe dental tarter, then the procedure itself could take longer. How much so would depend on how many teeth needed to be removed and how difficult they were to remove (since molars have multiple roots and take longer then more simple extractions (ie incisors).

All the best,

Dr. B.