petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

I have a 5 year old rottie who is swollen on one side of s

Customer Question

Hi I have a 5 year old rottie who is swollen on one side of his face... This is the second time this has happened ...we gave him some antibiotics last time and whatever it was like a cyst busted and it started leaking... This made the swelling go down but we still operated on him so the vet can drain whatever was left .we were not told what it was but was told it but the vet said it was not his teeth...now it's happened again...any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Is the swelling underneath the eye socket?

When this happened last time, do you know if any xrays were taken of his head or teeth?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Swelling only on check area and neck....no ex Rays were ta ken but vet assured us it was not his teeth
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

I think you need to start with talking to your vet to get a better idea on what they thought they were dealing with the first time. If it was a cyst, was it infected and when they did surgery, did they attempt to remove it? If not, it is not a surprise that it recurred. Cysts can occur anywhere, and can fill up with discharge, rupture and become infected. If not removed, even if the infection resolves, eventually it will happen again. There are a lot of structures in that area of the body including lymph nodes, salivary glands and such, so if it wasn't a cyst, perhaps it was some other structure, but they should have an idea.

Of course, it is possible it was all just a abscess, but if so, why did it recur? Abscesses only usually form if there is a unhealthy tissue or infection, so if this is in the same spot as previous, there must be a source of infection that wasn't removed. You can tell if there is a root tip infection/abscess without an xray, but that doesn't sound like the correct location. It could be related to his ears and middle ear infections can lead to abscesses on the cheek and neck if severe enough. Make sure someone looks in his ears and he may even need skull xrays if his eardrum cannot be visualized.

I hope that gives you some things to discuss with your vet.

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply... Last surgery was 2 months ago they said they drained and cleaned it ...they didn't want to go further in cause of the lymph modes and other glans and they said that would be tricky surgery... I understand it hard for you with this information to give me some answers but do you think this us a simple problem that we can tackle or do you think it's something much more serious.. Thank you
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is difficult to respond specifically without the benefit of a physical exam or his full medical history. If it was all infection, then the source of the infection needs to be identified and removed or treated. If able to do that, then the problem should resolve. That is not necessarily serious, but not always easy to identify or get to the source. It may be in your best interest to consult with a veterinary surgeon or someone who has expertise in working around the delicate structures in the neck.