Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 10 year old Cocker Spaniel has a very gh cell count of 36

Customer Question

My 10 year old Cocker Spaniel has a very high white cell count of 36 - they say the neutrophils and monocytes are high - he doesn't seem sick at all - just in for his annual / when they do blood work, shots , etc... He has had many ear problems - resulting in ear surgery to re-direct the ear canal - his hearing is great:)) he absolutly hates going to the vet - starts shaking and will not get out of the car- he has no fever and great appetite - walked today and played? Could this high of a level be stress related ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Redmond. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Stress, even the stress of going to the vet and having blood drawn, can elevate the white blood cell count. However, 36 is a high number for just stress. He may have an area of inflammation in his body somewhere.

If he seems perfectly healthy, I would just recheck the white blood cell count in a week or two and see if it comes down. You might have a technician come out and draw the next blood sample in your car to help minimize stress.

You can try to desensitize him to going to the vet. I tell owners of new dogs or puppies that whenever they are in the area, they should bring the dog inside, give him a treat or have staff members give him a treat, and then leave. If he starts to associate being there with treats, he may be less stressed the next time he goes in for an actual vet visit.

He is probably fine, but if he were my own dog, I would monitor this blood count. Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karen Steineker,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Redmond. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Redmond doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?