Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 10 month old puppy punctured a double AA battery. She was

Customer Question

My 10 month old puppy punctured a double AA battery. She was licking her lips before I grabbed it so some battery acid came out. She is still eating and isn't showing any signs of nausea. There are no burns in her mouth. What should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am glad to hear that she is still eating and there are no signs of burns in her mouth. First, rinsing her mouth out and monitoring overnight for any changes orally as far as possible ulcerations. As long as the battery was not ingested I would be feeding a bland diet for a few days as a precaution, white rice and boiled lean meat (chicken as an example) along with pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours x 3 days which is an over the counter antacid.

Since you did not see any redness in his mouth, I think she was fortunate enough to avoid a burn. The puppies I see with this problem have an obvious area of inflammation where contact occurred, and it is quite painful. They often have difficulty eating their regular food and are depressed.

I recommend monitoring the rest of the evening for lethargy, reduced appetite or difficulty eating. If you see any of these, I would have her seen at your regular veterinarian in the morning.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today! I am on-line just a few more moments this evening...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Lou feeling?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!