Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has a round lesion between s back and nd leg. Very

Customer Question

Hi my dog has a round lesion between his back and hind leg. Very red and symmetrical outer part of circle is raised and thick the size of a quarter. It scabbed up but he picked at it. It was originally the size of a pea and raised like a bump but red and sore looking. I have been applying peroxide and neosporin and he has the e-collar on ad of today. What do you think this is. He is acting fine in all other aspects (eating,drinking etc... Thanks Holli
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Is there a way you can download a photo for me to review (see instructions on how to do so below):

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

There are many causes of lesions as you describe, often it requires a tape preparation, skin scrape, or biopsy to diagnose but hopefully I can hone in on a possible differential list for you based on a photo...

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

At this point I can give you some basic guidelines for this lesion but if it is not improving or growing I would advise a veterinary exam.

1.) No licking! Glad you have purchased an e-collar to allow healing because licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Trim the hair around the wound

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry. Please minimize hydrogen peroxide which has been proven to delay wound healing versus promote it

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours as needed for itch but may cause mild sedation.

7.) Photograph the lesion with a ruler next to it so you can monitor its size and shape weekly

This can be due to a contact allergy, infection, bug bite, ringworm, immune mediated to name a few but the above should help quiet it down and hopefully provide relief to allow healing

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am signing off for the night but will check in tomorrow to see if you have responded with any additional questions or comments. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!