Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Dog just ate xarelto (blood thinner), unsure of mg. Dog only

Customer Question

Dog just ate xarelto (blood thinner), unsure of mg. Dog only weighs 3.4 lbs., Already induced vomiting with apomorphine...threw up foam until dry heaving. Didn't see pill...next steps?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bandy. How long ago did he get the pill? How long after he got it did you get him to vomit?

There is not much known about using this drug in dogs. If you did not get him to vomit the pill, he could have internal bleeding, and could get seriously ill. It really depends on how much he got, which we don't know. If this were my own dog, I would assume it could be a serious dose, and would start monitoring his platelet counts and blood clotting times, and if the numbers show a problem would consider a blood transfusion.

I sure hope that is not necessary, but it could be if he got enough of the drug.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You might call the ASPCA poison control hotline. There is a charge for the call, but they have the largest data base of things like this in dogs, but they don't give out their information for free. If there is a problem they stay with you and your veterinarian throughout the case at no extra charge:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

(888)(###) ###-####/strong>.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

That is probably also what I would do if this happened to my own dog; there just is not much information about this drug in my books and resources, and they have the most information. Sometimes the drug company pays for the call and they will know at poison control if the makers of Xarelto are a sponser.