Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Have a 6yr morkie took her in and scracthing came out with

Customer Question

have a 6yr morkie took her in for allergy and scracthing came out with diagnosis thrombocytopenia. put on predisone 5mg and doxycycline 50mg twice a day. she is happy, eating, not lethargic, she weighs 11 lbs and eats all day. her platlet count shows on labs to be 18,neutrophils 11,242 ,monocytes 1022, bun 29, phoshatase 125 what do you think
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Morkie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

A low platelet count like 18, if it has been double checked to be the actual reading and not a lab error, is most likely due to IMT, immune mediated thrombocytopenia, and prednisone is the best treatment. If this is what she has, her counts should start going up in a few days, and you start to very gradually lower the dose of prednisone. If the counts stay low, I would start another medication such as cyclosporine, or azothioprine.

Another cause of low platelets is an infection by a tick borne disease like Lyme disease or Ehrlichiosis. The treatment for that is doxycycline, so your vet is doing exactly what I would do for my own dog.

That is a normal BUN, and normal phosphatase level, so I am not worried about her kidneys and liver based on that.

That is a normal neutophil and monocyte count as well.

I would be checking her soon to see if the platelet count is going up, or not. Let me know how she is doing and what else I can help with or answer.