Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

What can cause a dog to chew on s feet after years of

Customer Question

What can cause a dog to chew on his feet after years of suffering from allergies? We are staying with my daughters family for about 6 months and she doesn't seem to be happy here. I'm at a lost of how to help her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Foot licking/chewing is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of both atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) and food intolerance. Atopy is expected to be seasonal. Not so a food intolerance. Atopy is usually quite corticosteroid (prednisone, e.g.) responsive. Not so a food intolerance. Do you have any medications that you've administered previously for her allergies?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Abby was on veg podiums for 10 days and is also taking chlorpheniramine maleate 4mg 3onth supply. It doesn't seem to be working for her.' This is the third vet over the last several. Years I have taken her to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She seems to be miserable and hates the grass .

I'm not familiar with "veg podiums". Please clarify. The antihistamines such as chlorpheniramine have been shown to be effective in less than 10% of atopic dogs in studies even when dosed concomitantly with fatty acids. Besides a corticosteroid, the new cytokine antagonist oclacitinib (Apoquel) should be considered for such a patient. Oclacitinib is likely to revolutionize how we address dogs such as Abby. Please discuss this new approach with her vet. You also have the option of allergy testing and then sublingual or injectable desensitization therapy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your suggestions for Abby , I will bring it up with her vet when we get home.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?