Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

What things would you check a basic examination if dog

Customer Question

What things would you check for in a basic examination if dog become lethargic and have some tenderness when get probed in stomach and what tipe of treatment will they get
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - I'm Dr. Sara and I'm a licensed veterinarian. I work exclusively with dogs and cats.

When a patient comes to me for vague symptoms like you're describing, I would first get a full medical history detailing the pet's lifestyle, recent eating and drinking habits, history of character of bowel movements and any vomiting or other "odd" behaviors or signs. My full physical exam consists of evaluation of the mucus membrane (gum) color, moistness, and capillary refill time, a careful listen to the heart and lungs, an evaluation of their gait looking for lamenesses or neurologic issues as well as running each joint though a range of motion looking for discomfort. Abdominal palpation is a skill that requires a significant amount of practice and experience to interpret properly, but if there were pain on palpation I might consider taking some X-rays.

The symptoms that you area describing are very nonspecific, which means that they could be caused by a very wide variety of illnesses. It would be impossible for me to tell what might be going on unless I could get my hands on him myself for a physical exam. The results of the history and physical exam will guide your vet in their recommendations for possible further testing (like X-rays or blood work) or treatments.

I hope that this helps - I would suggest having him examined in person in order to get the best information on what is going on.

Thanks and let me know if you have any other questions :)

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara