Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My puppy ,4 mo. is coughing and gagging. He did have diahrea

Customer Question

my puppy ,4 mo. is coughing and gagging. He did have diahrea but I took him to the vet and he was put on an antibiotic, his diahrea stop but not the cough. Could there be something stuck and would vaseline help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- What is the name of the antibiotic he is on?

3- Any nasal or eye discharge?

4- Is he lethargic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 3 weeks, albon, no and no
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it sounds like your puppy has kennel cough which is an upper respiratory infection. We do sometimes use antibiotics for this condition. But, albon is not a good antibiotic for this type of infection. I would phone your vet and discuss with your vet about starting him on Clavamox. In the meantime you can start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/4 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy robitussin over the counter in any pharmacy.

Giving vaseline will not help; the hacking is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter