petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My 12 week pup screamed and now won't put s left paw up

Customer Question

My 12 week pup screamed and now won't put his left paw up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Are you meaning that Lennox won't put weight on the paw now?

Do you know what happened right before the scream? Was there any sort of trauma?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were in the yard he walked behind me then let out a yelp and started limping lifting that paw that was it and now he keeps licking it profusely
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

It sounds as if he may have stepped on something that may have hurt him.

If he will let you, I would lay him down and gently separate the foot pads to have a look between all of the toes for any signs of trauma or a foreign body. If there is a puncture, it may not be readily visible. The problem is that sometimes a foreign body, like a thorn, punctures through the skin and embeds itself into the tissue and you can't see it.

If you don't see anything, it may be that is just reacting to something he stepped on at the time that got stuck up in the folds and he may or may not have gotten it out, but it is still irritating him. You could try a cool water epsom salt soak of the foot a few times today to see if they that will relieve the irritation. I would not allow him to continue to lick excessively as that can lead to more trauma.

If he doesn't improve, it would be a good idea to have him examined by your veterinarian to make sure there is nothing else going on.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z