Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I noticed a swelling on my small Chihuahuas face this

Customer Question

I noticed a swelling on my small Chihuahuas face this afternoon. I thought mabey it was insect bite but tonight both sides of her muzzle are swollen. Should I get emergency help for her or can it wait tell tomorrow so I can take her to my my Vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How is she acting other than the facial swelling?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been fine until later tonight she did throw up.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While I cannot be 100% sure via the internet I have to say that any sudden onset swelling on the face area on a dog including the eyes, lips and nose is typical of an allergic reaction, an itchy skin with hives or bumps elsewhere on the body may also develop as time goes on. This is actually very common and is usually the result of an allergy to an insect bite or sting of some kind. While sometimes dramatic looking this sort of situation is rarely dangerous and most dogs would be fine to wait until tomorrow.

2. I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl, provided your dog is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK.

However if this is a reaction to an insect bite the swelling would be likely to go down over a 48 hour period without treatment anyway.

3. However if your dog does deteriorate further then you would be better to have an ER vet check her over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her facial swelling ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.