Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Frenchie has raised bumps on her back and small red spots

Customer Question

Hi there. My Frenchie has raised bumps on her back and small red spots on her stomach. They appeared about 2 weeks ago but Benadryl is not working. They started cleaning up on her own but returned after waking her in grass yesterday. When this has happened in the past her bet gives her temaril but I'm concerned that her immunity is becoming week from being prescribed that too often.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What color are the bumps? Do they look like pimples?

Are there quite a few?

What dose of Benadryl did you use? How often was it given?

How much does Darla weigh?

Was she on the antihistamine when you returned to walking her in the grass?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bumps on her back are raised behind her fur and look colorless... The bumps on her stomach look like tiny red pimples.One Benadryl every 8 hours but stopped after a few days of it not making any difference. The raised bumps became not so prominent for just a few days but never went away. The pimples she has had for quite a while.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, based on your description, the bumps on her back do sound allergic in origin. That said, if we are seeing pimple type bumps on her stomach, then we aren't going to see those settle with the Benadryl. This is because these are pustules and are a sign of bacterial infection. And these tend to need to be treated with antibiotics to settle.

Putting the infection aside for a moment, I am concerned that Darla has a grass allergy here. And I share your thoughts on long term steroid use not being ideal for a dog this young. Therefore, I do want to note some alternatives that would be worth considering for her and for the long term (since grass is not likely to go away any time soon).

To start, I would note that you could try an alternative antihistamine to see if it worked better for her. For example, you can give her Loratadine at a dose of 5-10 mg per dog once daily. Or you could try Cetirizine at a dose of 1mg per kilogram of her body weight. Of course, when using any of these alternatives, do make sure to avoid any with additional medications (since some decongestants in these products are not safe for dogs).

Otherwise, she may be a candidate for immune modulating medication or immunotherapy. Therefore, you may want to speak to your vet about Atopica (Cyclosporine). This drug is an immunmodulator that blocks inflammation and thus itching. Alternatively, there is a brand new drug on the market for allergy dogs that is showing a lot of promise and Darla could be a good candidate for this. It is called Apoquel and controls itchiness via preventing the skin itch receptors from being triggered. It tends to be as quick acting as steroids but doesn't have any of the negative side effects. So, these could be better options for controlling her allergies.

Further to these, there is also immunotherapy. This is where we allergy test the dog (to pinpoint the exact plant or pollen species settling them off) and then have the lab create a vaccine against the ones she is allergic to. This is then used to desensitize the immune system and stop it reacting to these benign plants. And as a young dog, this could really be of benefit for her in the long term in a world full of grass.

Overall, I am concerned that we have a bacterial infection here on top of an allergic reaction. Therefore, I do think we need to get her local vet involved to address that. But further to this, it'd be worth consider the above options as a possible means of getting Darla's skin condition better under control for her now but also for the long term.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best for Darla,

Dr. B

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)