Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
1- It's fair to say that she vomited all of the chocolate chips?
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If she vomited the chocolate chips then not likely to cause any life threatening symptoms. I would observe her for the next 24 hours. If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours) she will be fine.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
She will be giving large doses of activated charcoal, start her on IV fluids and monitor for any of the above complications we discussed.
If she is drinking more than usual this is very likely secondary to the chocolate. If you have access to ER vet I would have her checked tonight to be on the safe side.
Please reply if you have additional questions.
It is an indication that she has absorbed the chocolate, so it is not a good thing. For this reason I have recommended to have her checked by ER veterinarian. Whether the symptoms will get worst or remain the same is unknown at this point.