Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My two year old Chiweenie has had watery stool going on TWO

Customer Question

My two year old Chiweenie has had watery stool going on TWO months now...she has been to the vet three times and have had X-rays, stool samples, blood work, change in food & on two meds and a probiotic...all test results came back fine....her protein levels were low, but dr. saying everything looks fine, but she still has watery stool...no vomiting, but she only weighs 4 lb and I'm worried ­čśĽ
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your Chiweenie. Do you happen to know what her serum albumin level is? If she's truly hypoalbuminemic, she suffers from a protein-losing enteropathy and that usually results from lymphangectasia - a disorder of the intestinal lacteals (lymph vessels).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure about that I would have to call the clinic tomorrow to find out. The vet did just tell me her protein levels were low...but I feel like she is blowing me off as if nothing is wrong with my dog and she has been sick for going on two months and no change in diet or meds are helping... ­čśĽ

I understand. We can't ignore a low protein level. It's the biggest clue to what may be wrong with your dog. See if you can get a copy of her test results and upload the copy to our conversation. Her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will I be able to open this and speak directly to you tomorrow to upload the file?

Yes, you can return to this conversation at your convenience - even after rating. If you happen to lose me you can always find me again by typing "for Dr. Michael Salkin, only" as the first few words of your new question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great thank you so very much. I'm just very concerned...my boyfriend is WWE wrestler Jerry Lawler and we travel often with work, so I am having to leave her with family on some weekends and they are saying it's just not getting better. I have spent over $1000 at this point and no answers is just aggravating. Thank you for your time.

You're quite welcome. I'll lead you in the right direction. Say hello to Jerry for me.