Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We adopted a rescue pug. He drags s rear legs and when you

Customer Question

We adopted a rescue pug. He drags his rear legs and when you pet him he loses his balance and falls over. He has fecal incontinence. This weekend one of his rear legs started shaking really bad and he couldn't stand. We put him in bed and he wouldn't move and had both urinary and fecal incontinence. He was better again the next moring though. What could it be?where
Submitted: 1 year ago via PetWave.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, it sounds like Cooper has a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc. The disc is causing compression on the nerve (spinal cord) interfering with the motor function of the back legs and causing the fecal and urinary incontinence. Less likely we can also see similar symptoms with arthritis of the hips.

I would recommend a hands on examination by family veterinarian and xrays of the spine and hips as initial screening test. In addition your family veterinarian will start him on prescription anti inflammatory medication. In the meantime you can begin to supplement with Cosequin (glucosamine) given at label dose. You can buy cosequin over the counter in any pet store.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've had him for about a year. Could he have had this bulging disc the whole time?! I'm unsettled that the rescue did not test for this when he was first brought in. Will this get worse as time goes on?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

It is possible he could of had it. But, if he wasn't showing any symptoms at the time that he went to the shelter then they don't need to test for it. Plus, many times in the early stages plain xrays will not show any lesion. He would of needed advance imaging like an MRI or Myelogram which is only done in patients that are showing symptoms.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter