Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a dog that has had intermittent blockages of the

Customer Question

I have a dog that has had intermittent blockages of the frontonasal opening of the sinus after a dog bit when it was a puppy. One surgical intervention removed a bone fragment but it is swelling up again. The vet surgeon recommended a sinus ablation. He says that this surgery will leave cosmetic depression. I can not find anything about this surgery on the internet. Is this a common surgery for a board certified vet surgeon
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyplace on internet that I could find reliable research about this surgery and possible pictures of the way the dog's head might look after completion.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - thanks for sending us your question! I'm Dr. Sara - a dog and cat vet.

You are doing a great job so far of taking care of Emma - she is very lucky to have you advocating for her.

I have seen dogs who sustained trauma to their sinuses do just as you mentioned - however I wouldn't say that it's a very common occurrence. If I am able to find and remove a devitalized (or dead) piece of bone and flush the sinus out, then I do that. However, if we continue to have issues beyond that (such as swelling, discharge, nasal drainage or infections that won't clear), that's when I send my patients to a board certified veterinary surgeon - just as has been done for you.

I searched my academic resources for articles on this type of treatment, however I was unable to locate any scholarly articles. It's likely that there aren't any because it's a fairly uncommon procedure. The more common a problem is, the more procedures have been done, the more likely there have been enough patients to crunch some numbers. I don't want this to make you take a negative viewing of us vets, but often times we are improvising as we go, making the best possible decisions as the situations arise - and no one is studying that ;) As far as pictures - your actual surgeon may be able to pull some up, especially if he or she has done this procedure before.

If I'd trust anyone to explore my dog's sinuses, it would be a board certified surgeon at a well equipped veterinary specialty hospital.

Please let me know if I can answer any other specific questions!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Emma. How is everything going?
Doc Sara