Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is favoring her right her and shaking her head a lot

Customer Question

Hi there my dog is favoring her right her and shaking her head a lot
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just started about 20 mins ago when my boyfriend went to get her from outside. I don't see any bite marks or wounds. There is also no smell or redness.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What is she favoring on the right? The side of her face?
Any swelling at all?
Anything in the ear?
Can you confirm no access to poisonous snakes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah it almost seems as she's favoring her face, but there isn't any swelling or anything in the ear that I can see. We live in Texas so there are rattlesnakes which was my first thought, as I've had many dogs get bitten. But I checked all over her body and there are no bite marks of any kind. She's eating, drinking and in general seems ok except she's holding her head to the side and shaking it a lot. She seems to prefer laying down
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Snakes are always a major worry, so I am glad that you are seeing no bite marks (of course do make sure to check inside her mouth as well). Still, just because you are in a snake risk area, I would monitor that just in case.
Otherwise, if we can put snakes lower on our list of concerns, then we'd be needing to consider alternative differentials. The most common to cause facial tenderness and head shaking would be a possible insect or spider sting, tooth root infection, blunt force trauma, or irritation/foreign bodies in the ear.
With these in mind, we can start to try to rule out and address some of these for Leyla. To start, we can rule out allergic reactions causing tenderness by cool compressing the are an treating with an anti-histamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.
Otherwise, if you are suspicious of something within her ear, you can gently flush the ear with cool saline (1 tbsp salt to a pint water). This is safe to use in the ear and can reduce irritation and can loosen anything that may have snuck in and gotten caught.
Overall, these would be our concerns here for Leyla. If she is tilting her head and shaking it, she is telling us that despite obvious swelling this area is still tender and uncomfortable. So, we'd want to use the above at this stage to try and reduce that for her. Of course, any bruising, worsening, or if she doesn't respond to the above, we'd want to err on the side of caution and have this checked by the local vet. If something is stuck in the ear, it can be removed. If a tooth root abscess is suspect, then antibiotics can be dispensed. Otherwise, they can dispense dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, etc) to reduce her discomfort and help her settle.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Moriah,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Leyla. How is everything going?
nekovet