Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 18 month female Doberman has pimples/blisters under her

Customer Question

My 18 month female Doberman has pimples/blisters under her chin... Almost like a teenager's acne. Sometimes they will bleed a bit & individual crust/scab over. Any advice to clear it up?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I'm sorry to hear about R.C.'s pimples and blisters on her chin that bleed and scab.
This sounds like chin acne which can be primary acne or related to a whole host of things including food allergies, a hypersensitivity reaction to insect bites or stings, or exposure to some plants, like wandering jew plants, a fungal or bacterial infection, Demodectic mange or autoimmune (body attacking itself) skin disease.
In young dogs (less than 2 years of age) this usually is either related to Demodex mites or simple acne, over-active, plugged oil glands that get infected secondarily, are itchy, rupture and crust over.
Ideally she would have her chin scraped to look for Demodex mites, and samples taken for bacterial and fungal cultures.

It is possible that something in her diet or in her treats is causing her skin to flare. You might wish to pay close attention to the proteins and carbohydrates she is eating when she shows symptoms. Perhaps putting her on a hypoallergenic diet is indicated if her acne is severe. You could try a true hypoallergenic diet like Hills z/d or Purina Veterinary Diets HA. No treats, flavored medication or bones while on the diet and it must be used for a least 12 to 16 weeks to see the full effects, though most owners see some improvement in 6 to 8 weeks.

In the meantime topical treatment by spot bathing the affected area daily with a follicle flushing shampoo such as Pyoben or an antibacterial/antifungal cleaner like Hibiclens once daily should help.

After she eats you can wipe her chin with an antibacterial/antifungal wipe such as Malaket wipes, and then at the end of the day too.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.