Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am caring sister's chiwawa, and recently he was stepped

Customer Question

I am caring for my sister's chiwawa, and recently he was stepped on, and his hip is fractured. He weighs about 40lbs. He doesn't want to walk at all anymore. He is now 10yrs old. He hasn't had a bowel movement in about 2wks. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. Thanks for requesting me although I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you did.
I'm sorry for this concern for your sister's dog. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind:
1. I'm assuming that an x-ray was done to confirm his fracture, is this correct?
2. What drugs is he currently taking, if any?
3. What instructions were given about his care?
4. Are you certain that he hasn't had a bowel movement since two weeks is an awfully long time for no stool production.
5. Is he eating?
Since it looks as if you are currently offline, there may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.
Thanks for your patience. Deb