Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My puppy Will not eat or drink now past 3 weeks. The vet can

Customer Question

My puppy Will not eat or drink now for the past 3 weeks. The vet can not find anything wrong with him. He is extremely skinny now and lethargic. If he does eat, then he throws it right back up.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. I just have a question. How old is your puppy and how long have you had the puppy for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are not sure of his exact age. We think around 6-8months old. We have only had him for about 2 1/2months. Someone was trying to leave him by the roadside so my son took him

Okay thanks for the additional information. Was he relatively skinny when you initially found him? There are a couple of things I worry about in a young puppy that are doing the things that you are describing. One would be a digestive issue called Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. EPI for short. This is a condition where some puppies are born with a Pancreas that is not functionally correctly. The pancreas is responsible for producing enzymes to break down food so it can be used by the body. With out that function any food that a puppy takes in can't be digested. Another issue I would be worried about since he is vomiting right after he eats is a condition called megaesophagus. This is where the esophagus is abnormally enlarged so it can't bring food down into the stomach. Dogs with this condition often just regurgitate their food and never get any nutrients.

As a start I would try to see if you can have a fecal test done on him to rule out any parasites. If it is just parasites that would be an easier fix compared to the other medical conditions that I mentioned. If he has a lot of parasites then that could cause similar problems as well

The other medical conditions would require special testing to diagnose

Hi Steve,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dwight Alleyne