Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog just threw up some orange seeds from my big palm

Customer Question

My dog just threw up some orange seeds from my big palm tree. Are these big seeds poisonous
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

It really depends on the type of palm tree:

Queen palms (Syagrus romanzoffiana) produce bright-green, glossy, arching 10- to 15-feet-long leaves with decorative fleshy orange fruit that drop when ripe. While the queen palm fruit may cause stomach upset in dogs if ingested, according to the ASPCA, the fruit is not poisonous to dogs. However, the foxtail palm (Wodyetia bifurcata) and the sago palm (Cycas revoluta) both bear orange to red fruit -- resembling that of the queen palm -- that is poisonous to dogs.

I would definitely avoid any further meals tonight regardless, using pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours to help settle his stomach (over the counter antacid) and limit access to fresh water to not allow ingestion of large volumes and tomorrow smaller more frequent meals of white rice and boiled lean meat such as chicken.

If it is a foxtail or sago palm then I would consider veterinary attention tonight

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance tonight!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

How is Pepe doing? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!