Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dachshung/FBD just ate a block of swiss cheese. Do I need

Customer Question

My dachshung/FBD just ate a block of swiss cheese. Do I need to do something about this or wait for it to pass
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.
I'm sorry for this concern for Dutch but happy to reassure you that he should be fine...unless he's lactose intolerant, that is.
Dogs can eat cheese and process it in most cases, but there are some who can't tolerate dairy products, very similar to humans.
Even if he's not lactose intolerant, I might expect him to develop diarrhea in 12-24 hours since he ate such a large amount of it. Should this be the case, the stools should return to a normal consistency within a relatively short period of time especially if you feed him a bland diet diet of chicken and rice.
I hope this helps to reassure you. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I rather thought I need not worry (he is not lactose intolerant), but it seemed wise to double check. Now I know when to start watching for the diarrhea. I thought it might be sooner and that he would be vomiting as well. That's a relief. My husband thought he would become blocked. When asked what people were saying on the internet, I said they told him to keep his food off the coffee table!
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're more than welcome although I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you responded back. (I had to help a neighbor who has some health issues).
I agree that it's best to be double check in these situations since there are a number of foods which dogs shouldn't eat.
I suppose vomiting might be seen if he couldn't handle dairy products, but it's not what's typically seen when cheese is eaten...even a decent amount of it.
I hope your husband appreciated your sense of humor about this incident; I certainly did:)
Best regards, Deb