Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have an 11 year old dog who seems to be constipated. She

Customer Question

Hi ... We have an 11 year old dog who seems to be constipated. She vomited earlier & keeps wanting to go out. we have watched her going around the yard & sqwating to go & moving on to another spot. Is there anything I can give her. I usually give her pumpkin, carrots & green beans in her dry food.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has it been since the last time she had a bowel movement?

2- Is she urinating o.k.?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Did she get into anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not positive but I believe I saw her going yesterday & i saw her urinating this morning. She weighs around 70 lbs. I don't think she got into anything , she hasn't been out of the yard
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the delay in response. I had some technical problems at this end.

The key to constipation is adequate hydration. This is what you can do:

1- Get her to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.

2- Add 2-3 tablespoon of canned pumpkin to her food.

3- As a stool softener you can give 1 teaspoon of Miralax every 12-24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 tablespoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- You can also give her milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.

5- If she does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above I would have her checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter