Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Dog shaking and breathing fast and shallow recently

Customer Question

dog shaking and breathing fast and shallow recently diagnosed with broken tooth vet cant remove until sept 4
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Are we certain that these symptoms are from the tooth? I ask because I see dogs on a daily basis with even significantly damaged teeth that eat just fine. As well, fast/shallow breathing (not panting) should have nothing to do with a tooth. I just want to confirm all other possible issues have been ruled out. To rule these out would require lab work (CBC, chemistry profile w/electrolytes, urine check, thyroid screen) and X-rays to look for primary chest problems (pneumonia, heart disease) and a blood pressure screening. If all that was done and looks awesome, then I too might be inclined to look to the mouth.

What could you do today for the nausea? If not already tried and if she was my patient I might recommend you try famotidine (Pepcid AC) which you can purchase over-the-counter at any pharmacy for people and give 10 mg every 12 hours. This has no anticipated side effects and does a wonderful job to reduce stomach acid and nausea as a starting drug. Anything more powerful is prescription. You can also temp to eat using bland foods such as chicken breasts (boiled) and white rice (or substitute cottage cheese for the chicken).

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.